Monday, March 03, 2014

Matthew McConaughey's Acceptance Speech at the 86th Academy Awards®


The 'McConaissance' 'just keeps living'. Matthew McConaughey's acceptance speech at the 86th Academy Awards® has caused a stir. Some think it was too non-secular. Some are of the belief that it was inspirational. Some feel it was just McConaughey being McConaughey. Considering how frequently in the past, his detractors underestimated his abilities---tending to write him off as nothing more than a man with a nice physique, a handsome face, and not much grey matter, i can't help but see the irony in the definition of the french word méconnaissance, which sounds very much like 'McConnaissance'. Méconnaissance: to "misconstrue" or "misrecognize".

Matthew McConaughey received the Academy Award® for Actor in a leading role for his performance in Dallas Buyer's Club. Below is video of his acceptance speech [Video courtesy of The Oscars]


Transcript [courtesy of Wired] of Matthew McConaughey's acceptance speech for the Academy Award® for Actor in a leading role for his performance in Dallas Buyer's Club.

"Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you to the Academy for this—all 6,000 members. Thank you to the other nominees. All these performances were impeccable in my opinion. I didn’t see a false note anywhere. I want to thank Jean-Marc Vallée, our director. Want to thank Jared Leto, Jennifer Garner, who I worked with daily."

"There’s a few things, about three things to my account that I need each day. One of them is something to look up to, another is something to look forward to, and another is someone to chase. Now, first off, I want to thank God. ‘Cause that’s who I look up to. He has graced my life with opportunities that I know are not of my hand or any other human hand. He has shown me that it’s a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. In the words of the late Charlie Laughton, who said, “When you’ve got God, you got a friend. And that friend is you.”

"To my family, that who and what I look forward to. To my father who, I know he’s up there right now with a big pot of gumbo. He’s got a lemon meringue pie over there. He’s probably in his underwear. And he’s got a cold can of Miller Lite and he’s dancing right now. To you, Dad, you taught me what it means to be a man. To my mother who’s here tonight, who taught me and my two older brothers… demanded that we respect ourselves. And what we in turn learned was that we were then better able to respect others. Thank you for that, Mama. To my wife, Camila, and my kids Levi, Vida and Mr. Stone, the courage and significance you give me every day I go out the door is unparalleled. You are the four people in my life that I want to make the most proud of me. Thank you."

"And to my hero. That’s who I chase. Now when I was 15 years old, I had a very important person in my life come to me and say “who’s your hero?” And I said, “I don’t know, I gotta think about that. Give me a couple of weeks.” I come back two weeks later, this person comes up and says “who’s your hero?” I said, “I thought about it. You know who it is? It’s me in 10 years.” So I turned 25. Ten years later, that same person comes to me and says, “So, are you a hero?” And I was like, “not even close. No, no, no.” She said, “Why?” I said, “Because my hero’s me at 35.” So you see every day, every week, every month and every year of my life, my hero’s always 10 years away. I’m never gonna be my hero. I’m not gonna attain that. I know I’m not, and that’s just fine with me because that keeps me with somebody to keep on chasing."

"So, to any of us, whatever those things are, whatever it is we look up to, whatever it is we look forward to, and whoever it is we’re chasing, to that I say, “Amen.” To that I say, “Alright, alright, alright.” To that I say “just keep living.” Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to tell me what you think ;-)